I was quite enthused when this sewalong popped up on my blog feed. I’ve been trying hard to sew according to my style lately and Roisin is one of those bloggers with exactly my style. She executes it a lot better than me, though. I’m trying to work on that.
So, I went shopping for a suitable fabric. I was hoping for pin-up girls, or maybe something Paris-themed, but my local fabric shops just weren’t forthcoming.
I did, however, find this little beauty. Every now and then I get this funny feeling about fabric – I think it looks pretty average on the bolt, but I know it would look great as a dress. I’d call this artistic vision or something, but this is admittedly the first time I’ve gotten it right.
This is the Emery dress in size 12 again, this time with the back neckline darts 1cm wider and the bust darts lowered 1cm. The gaping at the back is a lot better, but the bust darts don’t look quite right.
I also omitted the pockets – I never use the ones on my first Emery, so it just didn’t seem worth the extra effort.
This was a super fast sew. I haven’t been sewing much since uni went back – I prefer to sew in large blocks of time, which just isn’t feasible right now. I’ve mainly been knitting instead, partly because I can do it while listening to my lecture online, but also because it requires less set up and equipment. Knitting is always ready to pick up and put down.
Anyway, I’d scheduled myself a “Sanity Day”, with the main intention of sewing. And this was my project.
I skipped the bow, collar and sleeves. I used bias binding instead of lining the bodice. This was a seriously fast sew. It took all of 3 hours, from cutting out to wearing. And I’ve barely taken it off since.
So, congrats Roisin and Nik – have a wonderful wedding! And I can’t wait to see the wedding dress!