This is the first thing I made after my Wardrobe Architect epiphany. I love it very, very much.
However, one thing I changed from last time was to lengthen the bodice one inch. It made a huge difference! I can’t believe it took me 4 versions of this dress before I realised that maybe the waistline was a bit too high. Like almost empire line. My belts have never sat over the waist seam, which irritates me and the waist seam was always up on my ribs, but I never though “I SHOULD FIX THAT”.
What an idiot. But I got there eventually.
This was made using a super cute cotton my mum bought me for Christmas. The teal is my absolute favourite colour right now, so it’s nice to add a little splash of it to my wardrobe!
I swear the birds are penguins, but everyone else I know says they’re just regular birds. I refuse to be swayed. I like the dress more if I think of them as penguins.
I lined this dress (for the first time ever!) with some gingham I found in the remnants bin at Spotlight for 30c ($1/m).
I like the overwheming business of the two prints together, but it made it just tad bit too tight. If I make it and line it again, I’ll reduce the seam allowances to 4/8″. Although I probably have enough for now.
Gah! Love! Especially with the sleeves.
This pose looked more graceful and carefree in my head, rather than just demented. Although you can see my beautiful penguin-matching across the princess seams, which I am ridiculously proud of.
Main fabric: Christmas present – $0!
Lining fabric: 30c remnant
Total: $1.80. Seriously.