This was a very quick sew in a very busy time of the uni semester!
I found this fabric, once again, at the op shop for $5. I measured it very roughly (1 pace = 1 metre) and I think there was about 8m there. Not too shabby!
I made the basic dress pattern with long sleeves, since I’d been a bit cold that day – it actually turned out pretty well!
The size was pretty spot on (my fabric doesn’t have a lot of stretch) and it sewed up super easily.
I love the long sleeves, but the puffed sleeve caps aren’t really my thing. To be fair, I knew this beforehand, but couldn’t be bothered adjusting it.
I’m also not really sure it’s the most flattering style on me – it definitely brings unwanted attention to my belly. I think a fuller skirt might have worked better for this – I like the bodice just fine. Probably the vertically striped waistband was a mistake, too. It worked better in my head.
The stripes were quite overwhelming, with the below-the-knee skirt and long sleeves. It was a little bit horrific! I had a good giggle, then pulled the skirt up in the mirror until it was at a length that worked better with the proportions. It’s much shorter than what I usually like, but also much more wearable. Definitely needs tights underneath or my paranoia reaches epic proportions!
I do like this dress.
It’s probably a bit unfair to point out all the problems with it when I really think of it as a wearable muslin. Plenty good for a first go and I wear it a lot – win!
Plus, I really need to sew more knit dresses! So quick to sew, easier to fit, easy to wear. Perfect.