A couple of weeks ago, Kyle and I went to the wedding of some friends from church.
It was just beautiful and really fun – but we’re here to talk about what I wore, right?!
Mum wasn’t sure what to get me for Christmas, so she was going to buy me a dress to wear. But we got tired of dress shopping fairly quickly, so ended up at Spotlight, fondling fabric. I ended up choosing a lovely cotton sateen. I’ve always loved Spotlight’s range of sateens – they’re really the sort of designs you’d see on a posh dress, so it was nice to look at them properly, actually needing a dress like that.
I planned to line the bodice with rayon lining, but did such a rubbish job of cutting it out, I didn’t even bother putting it in. All my inside seams are overlocked, my neck and arms bias binded. It actually looks pretty good on the inside, if I do say so myself.
I’d all but finished sewing it and just had the sleeves and skirt to hem. I tried it on one last time… and the zip got stuck. I couldn’t get the dress off. I think it was the combination of heavier fabric, bias tape and lack of bendy arms just meant that I couldn’t hold the top of the zip and pull it down at the same time.
So, as I was home alone, I had to leave the dress on, add jeans, runners and my leather jacket and ride the motorbike 15 minutes to Kyle’s house so he could free me. He thought it was hilarious. It was one of my more embarrassing moments.
And, to be honest, I haven’t changed the zip. It’s perfectly serviceable, I just can’t bend my arms the right way. I sort of figure I’ll just wear it when I can ask someone to undo it at the end of the night. A lapped zipper probably would have been better, but I’m not really very good at them. I want to tackle another soon – we’ll see how it goes.
Also – there are no pictures of the back with me actually in the dress. I was home alone doing the self timer photo thing so I didn’t do the zip all the way up at the back. Yeah. Valerie the Mannequin does a pretty good job of standing in!
Anyway, I also made a bow belt, from Tilly’s tutorial, to go with it. It was a piece of cake to put together, if we gloss over the fact that I accidentally cut it out on the fold, therefore cutting out enough fabric for two belts. Ahem.
I think it’s actually a bit much for this dress, what with the sleeves, busy pattern and then the bow belt. I’ll still wear it, just not with the matching dress.
The Elisalex is quickly becoming my go-to dress pattern. I can’t believe it took me so long to make it!