Spotty Tiramisu of Jersey Trials

Ooh – the Tiramisu from Cake Patterns!

This is the latest episode of the ongoing saga of Laura v. Jersey.  Or, more accurately, Laura v. Jersey Necklines.tiramisu-front

This was my first successful attempt at a jersey neckline.

Yeah.  I’ve attempted a few more, but haven’t finished the tops, as I just couldn’t get the neckline right.  Agh!  (Also, I sewed this long before the Kirsten Kimono Tees…)

Thinking back, I’m not actually sure why I ever thought it would be a good idea to sew an entire dress in jersey.  But heck, I liked the look of the Tiramisu dress (especially the ones that kept popping up around blogland).


I added 2.5m of bamboo rayon jersey to a order and I was in business!

Well, after about three months psyching myself up, that is.

I found this quite a challenging make actually.  Even though I nailed the neck binding first try.  I think it was mainly due to poor fabric choice.  I’m not very up with the adjectives for stretch fabric, but I’ll try to describe it!  My rayon jersey was very drapey and looked like it would make a lovely dress.  But it was also really heavy.  It felt light to hold, but when left to hang it would droop way, way down under its own weight.  This lead to a couple of problems.

Check out that neckline!

Check out that neckline!

The bust, faux wrap pieces have a little gathering down the bottom for shaping, then join onto the waistband.  My bust pieces hung down to my bellybutton.  No, I’m not kidding.  I ended up lopping off about 4-5″, plus taking the waist in a heap to make it fit properly and not hang like a sack.

And then I messed up.  I’d restitched the side seams an inch or two further in than they had been and had a perfect fit.  I was trimming the excess when I snipped through the waistband.  Yep.  On the front, about an inch and a half in from my (now perfect) seam.  (DON’T SEW TIRED!!!)  It became apparent pretty quickly that I couldn’t just patch it, or sew it shut.

Instead, I took the waist in even more.  I played around a bit with the other side, to get it looking more even and less…warped.  It worked fairly well though.  It fit.  Nothing exploded when I put it on.  The waistband and polkadots were a bit more stretched out than they ought to be, but otherwise it was okay.

I actually made this dress about six months ago.  It’s held up fairly well until now, but little holes are starting to appear on the side of the waist that was so excessively taken in.  I’ve sewn them shut a few times, but they keep popping back up.


Despite the fiasco that was this dress, I’ve actually worn it quite a lot.  It’s deteriorating into a home-only dress, but I’m really keen to make another one.  It feels like wearing pyjamas while retaining some element of class (well, before it started falling apart anyway).  I’m always up for that!  I’m yet to find somewhere locally that sells decent jersey, so it may not eventuate for a while.  I’m trying to curb my online fabric habit!  I have so many more things I’m planning to make, I don’t think I can handle anything else competing for space in my brain!

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *